News 3 min read

Enzo Fernandez Is Going Nowhere Fast, But the Manchester City Threat Is Real

Marcus Osei
Marcus Osei Senior Football Writer & Analyst
Aug 21, 2026
Accuracy Checked
Enzo Fernandez Is Going Nowhere Fast, But the Manchester City Threat Is Real

Real Madrid loanee scores first career hat-trick in stunning Lyon debut

Xabi Alonso says all the right things. Enzo Fernandez has a great attitude. He's training well. He's integrated back into the group. He's a Chelsea player. It all sounds very calm and controlled, and maybe it is. But underneath the surface, this is one of the messiest transfer situations in the Premier League this summer.

A Deadline That Didn't Deliver

Chelsea gave the green light for Fernandez to leave back in late May. The number was £120 million, the deadline was 14 August, and the expectation was that someone would come in. Nobody did. No formal offer arrived before that Friday deadline, and Chelsea have now told his camp he's not for sale in this window. That's the official line, at least.

The problem is that the word 'official' is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. Reports out of Spain suggest Chelsea privately haven't slammed the door shut at all, and that they've brought in Jorge Mendes to quietly find a resolution. That's not the behaviour of a club that's truly moved on from a sale. That's a club keeping the back channel open while the front door stays bolted.

Why Manchester City Won't Just Walk Away

Manchester City are the only credible buyer in this story. They've lost Rodri to Barcelona and Bernardo Silva's contract ran out, so their midfield needs serious reinforcement. Fernandez at 25, World Cup winner, Premier League proven, fits exactly what Pep Guardiola's successor would want to build around.

The Enzo Maresca connection matters too. Maresca managed Fernandez at Chelsea and now Maresca is at City. That's not a coincidence, that's a recruitment pipeline. City believe Chelsea still want to do a deal, and based on the Jorge Mendes angle, they're probably right.

Chelsea are also in advanced talks to sign Ayyoub Bouaddi for around £85 million, which tells you City aren't sitting on their hands. They're building their midfield regardless, but Fernandez remains their priority option if the price is right.

The Jeers and the Captain's Armband

This is where it gets genuinely complicated. Fernandez was booed by sections of the Chelsea support during the friendly win over Real Sociedad last weekend. The relationship between the player and some of the fanbase has been damaged, and that's not something that disappears with a few good training sessions.

Chelsea's response was to hand him the captain's armband when he came on as a substitute. It was a statement. Whether it was a genuine signal of trust or a calculated move to boost his value before a sale, only the board knows. Either way, it puts Alonso in an awkward spot, managing a player whose long-term future at the club is genuinely unclear while also trying to prepare for a Premier League opener at Fulham on Monday.

Alonso's press conference answer was exactly what you'd expect from a smart manager. He didn't promise Fernandez would be at Stamford Bridge on 2 September. He said Fernandez is a Chelsea player and he's getting ready for Monday. That's not a guarantee, that's a one-week commitment.

Our Read on How This Ends

We think Fernandez leaves before the window closes on 1 September. The logic stacks up on every side. Chelsea privately want to sell. Manchester City want to buy. The player already tried to push through a move to Real Madrid earlier this summer. The relationship with the fanbase is complicated. And Chelsea, being Chelsea, will find a way to do business at the last minute if the number is right.

The £120 million valuation may need to come down slightly to get a deal done, but City have the money and the motivation. We'd expect some movement in the final ten days of the window.

For anyone building accumulators around the early Premier League weeks, factor in that Chelsea's midfield situation could still shift before the window shuts. Fernandez starting at Fulham on Monday tells you very little about where he'll be playing in September.

Marcus Osei

Editorial Note: Marcus Osei

Senior football writer and tactical analyst with 12+ years covering the Premier League, Champions League, and world football. Born in Accra, raised between London and Kuala Lumpur.

Browse available content below.

18+

Gambling can be addictive. Play responsibly. National Responsible Gambling Programme